Saturday, January 3, 2009

Stuff from 101 list

27) Keep a "thankful" journal. & 28) Keep a normal journal.
I finally went and picked up notebooks for these two things. I will be starting tonight. (No worries, I am not going to tell you guys what I write.)

48) Learn the "hidden treasures" of the state/city I live in. See them.
Click for full pic
Gilgal Garden. It was made by Thomas B. Child, Jr. (1888-1963) All the sculptures are from stone and he did them himself. They are all of things pertaining to his faith. (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) It snowed the night before I went, so some of the stone is a bit hard to see. It was amazing! Especially that one man did all this.

Pics 2-4: The Sphinx with Joseph Smith's Face, Pics 5-7: Captain of the Lord's Host- The Monument to the Trade- The Monument to the Priesthood, Pics 8-10: Daniel II: Nebuchadnezzar's Dream of the shattered giant. (Head, chest, and one foot. The rest was buried in the snow)
Gilgal Garden The Sphinx
The Sphinx 2 The Sphinx with Wob101_2009

Captain of the Lord's Host The Monument to the Trade Something in the garden

Daniel II: King's Dream 2 Daniel II: King's Dream 3 Daniel II: Nebuchadnezzar's Dream

The Weeping Virgin Tree. Found in a tree in 1997. It appeared to be a robed figure in a sawed-off branch of the tree. Sap oozed from the head of the figure, as if she was crying. The city built a permanent staircase to the small wooden viewing platform.

Snelgrove. A family business that finally shut its doors in 2002. Legend has it that Franklin Roosevelt had Snelgrove's ice cream flown to the White House in 1935 for Thanksgiving dessert.

Artesian Well Park. Misha told me about this little gem. The water flows, on its own, up out of the ground. As you can see from the pic, people come and stock up for their own use.
The Weeping Virgin Tree Snelgrove Ice Cream Artesian Well

The Cedar Tree Shrine. Another one that Misha told me about. She said, "There is a memorial to where a tree use to stand." I said, "What you mean, 'here is the spot that a tree stood before we cut it down' type thing?" She said, "Yeah, it was the only tree in the valley (Other than the ones by the river) for a long time." I said, "Well heck, lets go see it!" So we did.
The Cedar Tree Shrine 2 The Cedar Tree Shrine The Cedar Tree Shrine 3

International Peace Garden. It was closed. Crapity-crap-crap. Oh well, I will go see it when the snow is off the ground. (I say it still counts though, as I do have proof. *hee*)
International Peace Gardens


SLC Pepper. The 21st-century take on the Beatles' iconic "Sgt. Pepper" album. It was done by Jann Haworth who helped design the album's original artwork.
SLC Pepper SLC Pepper 2

SLC Pepper 3 (Mcsnapdragon) SLC Pepper 4 (Wob101_2009)

A nice start. I still have several things to do around SLC, then I will branch out to other cities around Utah. :)

49) Do something outside (ie. walk, sit, draw, read etc...) outside at least once a week.
See pics above. 1 week down!

67) Have a good can-opener.

My New Can Opener

3 comments:

Lois Brown said...

Awesome! Everything looks like it was fun to see!!!!

Anne Marie's Blog said...

It was. I was sad that the "peace garden" was closed, but I will just have to see that in spring.

Love you!

n said...

Oh wow, I adore your goal about finding the hidden treasures in your town. I'd love to do the same, maybe later!

Although my town probably doesn't have anything as intriguing as yours, I mean, wow: The Weeping Virgin Tree? I'd love to see something like that, even if not in my own town.